OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

55 year old post menapausal G-2 P-3 Married female x 20

Customer Question
years now with vaginal dryness...
55 year old post menapausal G-2 P-3 Married female x 20 years now with vaginal dryness experiencing vaginal discomfort on external vagina, (no pain, itching, discharge, malodor), (slight pain with intercourse due to dryness). Q: what are the current recommendations for dryness? Is premarin oral or intravaginal cream recommended? What are the risks of estrogen oral and suppositories? Vaginal dryness now has created a tiny tear near urethera meatus, are there any OTC treatment available or recommended?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. SH, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy is very common after menopause.

The most common recommended treatment with least side effects is the topical estrogen preparation i.e. the intravaginal cream.

It has much less side effects as compared to the oral.

The topical one is very safe with minimal side effects.

Things that you can do at home include the following:

• Try a vaginal moisturizer (Replens, Vagisil Feminine Moisturizer, others) to restore some moisture to your vaginal area. You may have to apply the moisturizer every two to three days. The effects of a moisturizer generally last a little longer than those of a lubricant.
  • Use a water-based lubricant (glycerin-free versions of Astroglide, K-Y Intrigue, others) to reduce discomfort during intercourse. Choose products that don't contain glycerin because women who are sensitive to this chemical may experience burning and irritation. Avoid petroleum jelly or other petroleum-based products for lubrication if you're also using condoms. Petroleum can break down latex condoms on contact.

If you do not respond to the OTC medications that I mentioned above then you would definitely require topical estrogens and if you do not respond to the topical then the final step is oral medication.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor