Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

If I have an early abortion but told my doctor it was a

Customer Question

If I have an early abortion but told my doctor it was a miscarriage would she see that in an exam? What if the exam took place weeks later after the procedure? - i understand it's best to be honest with a doctor but i just want to know if you present the same after miscarriage or early abortion. Can they tell?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the doctor will not be able to tell whether you had a miscarriage or an abortion.

If you had an exam within 1 week after an abortion, the doctor might see marks on your cervix from where it was grasped with a tenaculum, which is used to grab the cervix and hold it steady during the procedure

By 2 weeks, those marks will normally have healed over, and there will be no way for the doctor to know you had any procedure.
Best regards.