Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I'm 21 nulliparous and just had a copper IUD (Paragard)

Customer Question

I'm 21 nulliparous and just had a copper IUD (Paragard) inserted 2 days ago. I'm not really having much cramping, and when I have its mild. But I'm having pain in my mid abdomen and it's sore to the touch, like right above my belly button. Do I have a reason to worry or is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. Pain in your upper abdomen wouldn't be expected from having an IUD inserted. Maybe you were nervous having the IUD inserted and you had excess stomach acid. Take some tums and see how it helps. Should the pain get worse and you get bloating then contact the doctors that inserted the IUD.