Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 42. Have regular periods. Had some spotting on the day

Customer Question

I am 42. Have regular periods. Had some spotting on the day in was due and nothing but cramping since. 4 days over now. My husband had a vesectamy 7 yrs ago.
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: I've also taken one hPT it was neg.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: No..been normal and regular always. But with every pregnany I had the implantation bleering...just like this. I have 3 healthy children.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Most likely your normal period didn't come when expected because you didn't ovulate this month.

Even though you've always had regular periods, that can't go on forever. Most women in their 40's will start to not ovulate every month. Not ovulating results in either missed periods or irregular bleeding.

The chance that you're pregnant is very low because of the vasectomy. Plus your pregnancy test was negative.

Since you've had regular periods up to now, I don't think this is anything to worry about. I would wait and see if your periods get normal again. If your spotting continues for a week or so, then I'd see your doctor. Some progesterone pills will help to resolve it. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean ore menopause?

No. It's the first step toward menopause, but actual menopause (periods stopping) is likely many years away.