Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I'm trying to determine whether it's safe for me to take

Customer Question

I'm trying to determine whether it's safe for me to take black cohosh for perimenopausal night sweats. I take 150 mg/day of Effexor and 20 mg /day of Prilosec. I also wear a Mirena IUD that is near the end of its 5 years of effectiveness. I need to decide whether to obtain another Mirena to get the night sweats back under control or to try alternatives like black cohosh. At this point, night sweats wake me up and have me showerinisemg up to 4 per night. Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — OB GYN Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello I'm Dr Manos M.D., board certified ObGyn. Your main question is about taking black cohosh for control of perimenopausal symptoms. The herb has been used for at least 200 years with endorsement by people that had used it. Would it work for you such as for the night sweats you experience? That's your choice as there is little information as to what's really in the herb. Distributors of the herb certainly do not study the ingredients as drug companies have to do. An herb is natural and not obviously a problem. The choice about your mirena IUD is another choice for you. It does provide contraception but more important it can control irregular bleeding during the perimenopausal years. If you choose continuing the mirena then you'll be fully informed by your physician. There are pros and cons about your sense of well being and more in favor of five more years of mirena and what herbs can do for you. I hope I've been helpful.