OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had my tubal ligation done six weeks after my daughter was

Customer Question
born 8 years ago. They...
I had my tubal ligation done six weeks after my daughter was born 8 years ago. They were burned according to the doctor who performed the surgery. I have since then divorced and remarried a wonderful man.. And i regret the dexision i made those years ago to have the tubal. So we have been checking into a reversal.. Howerver i have read many things affect such a surgery. My question is will i be able to have a successful reversal even though the ends of my fallopian tubes were burned? Also i was told health and height and weight also drastically affect it. I am not in bad health however i am overweight. I am 5 foot 8 inches. I weight 225 pounds. Also i have since had a galbladder surgery as well as an appendectomy. Please tell me if i am still a good candidate to have a successful reversal. They are very expensive, so i kusy want to know the odds and my changes before i just go and throw away this money instead of maybe doing invitro.. We desperately want another baby please help us
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
3/4/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 1 year ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. Overall, the money would be better spent going directly to IVF. Most insurance companies do not cover reversals and there is really no guarantee at all of success, especially with thermal damage to the tubes. And even if they were able to reanastamose the tubes, the risk of tubal pregnancy would remain high. The cost for the surgery and the unknown success rate is usually considered to be too high relative to IVF which is still costly (about the same) but would have a much higher chance of success. I don't know of any fertility doctors who would advise tubal reanastamosis over going directly to IVF.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify anything. Good luck.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified