OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Just got done taking the zpak for URI, I normally get Yeast…

Customer Question
Just got done taking...

Just got done taking the zpak for URI, I normally get Yeast infection from antibotics. Was prescribed Diflucan in case I needed it. Is it ok to take it so I make sure that I dont get a yeast infection since I just finished the zpack? Will I get a yeast infection if I take it and dont really need it??

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Just got done taking zpack for ear and sinus infection, not sure if I have a yeast infection or not and was wondering if I took the diflucan that was prescribed to me and I dont have a yeast infection, will it cause me to get one??

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
3/3/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

antibiotics can cause diarrhea and can kill off good bacteria in your bowels, your vaginal canal which can lead to vaginal yeast infections.

best to always take a probiotic pill to add back good bacteria into your bowels while you are on antibiotics to prevent diarrhea.

I would hold off on the diflucan and watch for signs of vaginal discharge and vaginal itching which can be a sign of vaginal fungal infection

you might not get a vaginal fungal infection.

if you do get one, you can always take the diflucan at that point.

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor