OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does 10 yrs of pill use followed by 5 yrs of the copper iud…

Customer Question
Does 10 yrs of pill...
Does 10 yrs of pill use followed by 5 yrs of the copper iud increase risk cervical cancer? I just had an abnormal pap and am waiting results from the follow up colposcopy and uterine biopsy. I am 53 and had one episode of atypical bleeding one year ago that resolved. Just missed my first period .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/24/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

10 years of pill use and 5 years of the copper iud does not increase the risk of cervical cancer.

As long as you've been having routine Pap smears, you won't have cervical cancer now. The most you could have is some precancerous changes, since we see that years before cervical cancer develops.