OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am almost 38 weeks pregnant now and recently experienced…

Customer Question
Hello, I am almost 38...
Hello, I am almost 38 weeks pregnant now and recently experienced mild irritation of the vulva/vagina and went to visit my gynaecologist. At first a yeast infection was suspected, however a vaginak swab was taken and the results came back negative for yeast and bacteria but positive for ureaplasma. Because I'm pregnant I was prescribed Clindamycin. The treatment seemed to calm my symptoms down however the day after I stopped the treatment the mild irritation has returned! From my online reading I can see that Clindamycin is by no means the drug of choice to treat ureaplasma so I'm wondering why it was given to me? What would be the best drug to get rid of my symptoms? I'm worried that the ureaplasma will harm my baby is this possible? In any case I'm scheduled for a c section delivery in 10 days...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/23/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Ureaplasma is a very common bacteria present in normal women's vagina. It usually doesn't cause any symptoms, and therefore doesn't deserve to be treated. Most likely it did not cause your irritation, and it was just coincidence that you felt better. Perhaps there was some other bacteria that the Clindamycin treated.

Ureaplasma usually does not cause any harm to the baby.

You're correct that Clindamycin isn't usually the best medication for ureaplasma.

I'm not sure what caused your symptoms, but it most likely was not ureaplasma. Yeast is far more likely during pregnancy, and it can sometimes be difficult to find on a swab.

I'm not sure what is best at this time, but if your symptoms aren't too bad, I might try to just live with them.

Sorry I forgot to mention - my doctor thought it was a yeast infection too and before the swab results came out prescribed a pessary and external cream. These were both ineffective. Then the swab results came back negative for yeast and other bacterial growths.So I was convinced it was a yeast infection too, however the fact that the medication didn't work is probably a sign its not yeast?What else could it be if not yeast ureaplasma or other bacteria? Should I repeat the swab?

Yes, if the medication didn't help, that's a good sign that it wan't yeast.

Vaginal irritation with no yeast usually means it's a contact dermatitis. That means that your skin is reacting to something that it's coming in contact with.

I would try some 1% hydrocortisone cream, plus try to figure out if there is anything (soap, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, etc.) that you might be reacting to.

Are all 1% hydrocortisone creams OK to use in the vulva area? Or are there specific ones? Are these safe in pregnancy?I forgot to mention that I have no unusual discharge or odor.

All 1% hydrocortisone creams are ok to use in the vulvar area during pregnancy.

It's good that you have no unusual discharge or odor.

Is Dermovate the same thing as a 1% hydrocortisone cream? Can it be used for vulvar contact dermatitis?

Dermovate is a steroid cream like hydrocortisone, but it's more potent.

I would recommend hydrocortisone, but you could also use Dermovate.