OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Went to OB because i broke out in what looks like blisters…

Customer Question
Went to OB because i...
Went to OB because i broke out in what looks like blisters on gentals. She took sample of blister fluid. Then ask about sex life. Said been married 8 yrs sex only with husband, she goes how about him. I said he faithful she goes well looks like herpes 99% sure... Well today lab called it was negative. What can it be. This is gross and hurts very uncomfortable.i was given 10 days actoval no clue of spelling. It came back neg. Ask the doc what can be she is now stumped...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Sorry my question was cut off. She tested me for herpes.. i was negative
2/23/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

How many blisters are there?

Are they typical blisters with fluid covered over by skin?

How large are they?

How long have you had them? Thank you.

I say there was like 8 or more only on the right side of my girl area and went almost to the butt part. Yes they looked like blisters they why went to doctor. Half the size of a dime. I also had 1 side the right swollen very noticable when you looked in mirrior it was swollen. It has gone down and most blisters popped. Been 7 days on Acyclovir. When doctor said she want sample she popped one did that way it hurt a lot. I noticed blisters last Tuesday went in on Tuesday 2 days before I noticed the swelling and discomfort. This has only happened to the right part not the left. The left has nothing at all. Right had it all

It sounds like you have shingles. Shingles is also caused by a virus, and usually we can diagnose it because it only affects one side of the body. It can occur anywhere, including the genital area.

Genital herpes starts out with blisters, but they pop very early, so by the time a doctor sees them, they are only flat sores, not blisters. There is more information on shingles here http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/basics/symptoms/con-20019574

Acyclovir is also the treatment for shingles, but it's usually given in larger doses: 800mg 5 times daily for 7-10 days.

Sitting in water with epsom salts is also soothing and healing. Best wishes.

This is saying nothing as to face it is only in my gentals on one side.. The link you posted stated on other body parts. like eye the arm.. Not the crotch to the butthole.

As I said, shingles can occur anywhere on the body, including the genital area.

This article may be helpful. I suspect that your blisters look something like this http://www.beyonddisease.com/difference-between-shingles-and-herpes

I say a little bigger and those are in clusters there was space in between mine. A few might been touching it is hard to see the whole area. It went from the outside of the lip to the bottom. Just one side. My doctor took one look say GH I was like impossible. She was dead set on it being this. Yes blisters very visible to the eye when I went in. Now in a few spots where blisters use to be looks like pin holes. But I still have a few small blisters I think. I feel it. Yes more pain then a burn.

When there are mostly obvious blisters, it can't be genital herpes.

Your doctor may not have seen shingles before.

Here are various pictures of shingles. There can be a lot of variation to the appearance, but we know it because it's just on one side.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shingles+pictures&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJx6TDkI7LAhVnn4MKHROGDzUQ_AUIBygB&biw=1001&bih=807

this may sound weird but I told her this she thinks it is nothing but felt like pressure in the vagina too and was tender to touch only right side all way to the bum area. like i sat on that side my area and was sore. No way to really explain it. Husband said maybe it was due to being swollen. I was from the right labia lip i think called to the bum area where you poop. All only the right side.

Shingles usually starts out with tingling, itching or burning followed by a rash, often with blisters.

The rash tends to last 1-2 weeks.

Sorry took so long to reply. I was waiting for doctor get back to me. She is a certified nurce midwife. She said the test came back negative so am in clear. The blisters are from shaving and if they are rash dont go away in week then come back.. Honestly how can shaving cause blisters. It looks nasty. Is this possible. Shou,d i just let it be. Am miserable

It sounds like you don't believe what I'm saying. You have shingles.

I would recommend that you see an OB/GYN doctor or internal medicine doctor so that you can get the proper treatment.

Thats just it I do believe you, but last Tuesday i went to my ob/gyn and the nurse midwife saw me and took the culture of the blister. Came back herpes negative. I called back and told them I want further testing to find out what this is. I was told it's from shaving. Not to shave for a few weeks it will go away. How do I get them to test me for it or blood work when they feel now its from shaving. The midwife was adimit it was Herpes. I dont think you can get blisters like I have from shaving. So i do believe just unsure what to do now since I was at doctor.

As I said above, you need to see a different doctor. Internal medicine and primary care doctors are usually familiar with shingles. Most OB/GYN doctors are also, but probably not most midwives.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN