OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Dr. Manos, So if a postmenopausal woman's FSH falls by 12%,

Customer Question
Dr. Manos,So if a postmenopausal...
Dr. Manos,So if a postmenopausal woman's FSH falls by 12%, how much do you think her estradiol and estrone increase by (in absolute amounts). I am making some calculations and I need that number.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/22/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

I have not done any research of the literature with changes in absolute amounts of estradiol levels and how FSH levels would respond. Minimal effective dose of mainly estradiol has been the end point as to what hormone replacement accomplishes.

Here is what I am doing. I had breast cancer and am on zometa infusions to try to kill my DTC's. Zometa does very badly in pre-menopausal women. So I have had my ovaries removed. And I take aromatase inhibitors to stop that estrogen.But I read an article about how red wine makes phytoestrogens in the body, and drops FSH. My oncologist had told me to drink a "heart healthy" glass of red wine daily. But when we were in Africa for 3 weeks, I think I had 3 glasses a day (you know how they keep refilling your glass). What I am trying to figure out is how much those 3 glasses raised my estrogen levels.Here is the article: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/220.pdfYou don't have to look at the whole thing, you just need to look at the graph of people (not rats) with the change in FSH levels after having the congeners from a glass of red wine. The FSH falls by 12%. One thing, is --another Dr. told me that FSH is much more sensitive than estrogen. So is the FSH went down by 12%, the estrogens probably only went up by 6%. Is that true?Now that you know this background, can you come up with an answer?

See my response on the other question about the phytoestrogens article.