OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am almost 6 weeks pregnant. I have an overbearing

Customer Question
OBGYN-who is high end and...
I am almost 6 weeks pregnant. I have an overbearing OBGYN-who is high end and doesnt take insurance. My HCG levels only went up by 45% in two days. She is now concerned and is making me do back to back sonograms and pelvic thinking its an ectopic. But she had an ectopic at my age which is why I think she's thinking this.
I have NO bleeding or cramping. But her concern is HCG not doubling in two days. Is she being too cautious? Its stressing me out. Please help. I have to work a job today and she said its urgent that I get to the sonogram today.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
She is saying its super important that I do sonogram today and next week to make sure its not a miscarriage. I am 27, not high risk-so why is she demanding I get the sono right away? HCG levels are 16,000.
2/19/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Was anything seen inside the uterus on your last sonogram? Thank you.

We didn't do a sonogram yet.
I feel like she just wants to take my money. I do not feel I am at risk. Is that concern that at week 5-6 that HCG only rose 45% from 11,000 to 16,000 in two days?
She is saying I will have to keep doing blood tests and sonograms for the next few weeks? Why? Its really stressing me out and I feel like she is just being too cautious. Is she over reacting?

Once HCG levels reach 1-2,000, HCG levels aren't nearly as helpful as sonograms.

A sonogram will show whether the pregnancy is inside the uterus, and whether or not it's a viable pregnancy.

In my opinion, there is no good reason for further blood tests. The sonogram will tell you everything you need to know.

The rise in HCG from 11,000 to 16,000 over 2 days is concerning. It suggests that this is not a good pregnancy.

As long as you're not having pain, I don't think anything is extremely urgent. But I would get a sonogram so that you'll know the situation.

If no pregnancy is seen in your uterus, then you likely have an ectopic. And with that level of HCG, it will likely need treatment.

I wouldn't delay much in getting a sonogram.

Thank you. Would a pregnancy be seen in weeks 5-6?
With a sonogram.

Normally a pregnancy will be seen at 5-6 weeks.

And when the HCG is over 2,000, a pregnancy will always be seen if it's in the uterus.

If the pregnancy is located somewhere else, then it may or may not be seen.