OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Two days post partum. Discharged from the hospital this

Customer Question
afternoon. I had a natural...
Two days post partum. Discharged from the hospital this afternoon. I had a natural delivery, no antibiotics, no narcotics afterward, no spinal/epidural. I also had no tearing. I was induced only with pitocin. No foreceps or vacuum. Strictly breastfeeding.I've been home roughly five hours and had my first post partum bowel movement two hours ago. It was sudden diarrhea. Since then I've had to go to the bathroom four times - all sudden urge to go, all diarrhea stools.I called L&D and the nurse said to take immodium and that it's safe for breastfeeding. I also have no appetite. Is this normal two days post partum? I was expecting constipation, not diarrhea.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/13/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

No, diarrhea is not really common after child birth.Postpartum diarrhea is one of the rare occurrences that can happen after a pregnancy. It is the constipation that women usually have after child birth.This is because of the hormone progesterone that can cause more water to be pulled back from the colon into the blood.

Viral infection/food poisoning can be the most common cause.

As you have started your first post partum bowel movement with sudden diarrhea & had 4 episodes of diarrhea,this should be evaluated as it can be an infection.

You may need a stool test to know the cause of this infection.

So my best advise for you is to make an appointment with your doctor to have stool tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly.

Do not forget to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

Hope this helped

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Is this ok to wait until Monday? My doc's office is closed for the weekend. Is it safe to take Imodium all weekend while nursing?

Dear customer

Thank you for asking follow –up question.

Yes,you can take loperamide at weekend and wait & watch your symptoms.

If the diarrhea is very severe,then you might need to call back your doctor or go to ER otherwise you can wait untill monday till your doctor office is open.

Use of loperamide during breastfeeding is unlikely to affect the infant.Studies in women suggest that this medication poses minimal risk to the infant when used during breastfeeding.

It is quite safe drug during breastfeeding.

Again,as you are breastfeeding,hydration is quite important.

Drink plenty of fluids.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh