OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had an US done on 1/12/16 stating GA of 7wk3 days. My lmp…

Customer Question
I had an US done...
I had an US done on 1/12/16 stating GA of 7wk3 days. My lmp was nov 16. I had unprotected sex on nov 30 and am pretty sure I ovulated that day. This would make me 8 wks gestation not 7 and 3, according to lmp. I am worried about the potential of another partner on December 5 being the father. Hoping to get this sorted out
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/12/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

What is it that makes you pretty sure that you ovulated on 11/30

I usually have ovulation pain every month. a sharp twinging pain located on one side. Sorry correction I had this pain on 12/1 the day after intercourse. And usually I ovulate mid cycle

Since you had typical symptoms of ovulation on 12/1/15, which is consistent with the LMP, it is very possible that that the ultrasound is off by a several days. The accuracy of a first trimester ultrasound is +/- about 8%, which would include the time frame that includes ovulation on 12/1.

However, neither symptoms, Lcx, or a first trimester ultrasound are able to accurately differentiate between two potential fathers with whom you engaged in intercourse 6 days apart, so it is impossible to state with certainty who is the father based solely on this information. There is more support for the fatherhood of the partner of 11/30, but it cannot be stated with certainty.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.