OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 11 weeks pregnant. Today I noticed I had a small canker…

Customer Question
Hello, I am 11 weeks pregnant...
I am 11 weeks pregnant. Today I noticed I had a small canker sore on the inside of my cheek. Using a cotton swab I applied a small amount of melaluca oil to the area twice. I also applied a small amount to my gums. I checked online before use if it was okay to apply tea tree oil to canker sores, and it was okay. I didn't think about adding while pregnant. I am concerned now because it says it could cause miscarriage?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/12/2016
OB GYN Doctor: DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST replied 2 years ago
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST

Hi

Topical use of tea tree oil has minimum systemic action, still it should be used in pregnancy cautiously as its action on fetus is not well established.

It may reduce the uterine contraction.

There are no reports till date that it has abortificant action. So don't worry for miscarriage. But avoid it during pregnancy and breast feeding.

Thanks