OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I used to have irregular periods with very little or no sogn

Customer Question
Ihad even started yet...
I used to have irregular periods with very little or no sogn Ihad even started yet . And only bleed for a day to 3 days . Now I go a full 5-7 days or so and have cramps and I noticed that I have a menstrual cycle now due to the blood flow and the other side effects of it like swelling in my lower abdominal cavity and some lower back pain as well from te to time and crave sweets for a day or two . Why all the sudden am I experienceing this . And I get extremely aroused when its the time for me to start and when I should be ovulating . For 24-48 hrs or so .
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
2/11/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, I'm Dr Manos MD, board certified obgyn. Your description of cycles and the type of periods raise the question about ovulation. Your lighter periods are usually indicating not ovulating regularly. Now it sounds more the average with five days flow and cramps. I advise having an ultrasound about 5-7 days before you expect a period. Actually, you may not be ovulating recently and the flow change could indicate the lining of the uterus being too thick building up over time. Either way, and I think the latter thinking, you need to see a Gyn doctor and they can do at least an ultrasound to straighten things out as far as what's going on. I hope this helps your choices and action.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank u . And if I am ovulating now on a regular basis then I could possibly get pregnant . Where as I always had problems with it before because of not having a normal menstrual cycle .

That's possible unless the heavier period is from years of anovulation and unopposed estrogen. You need an ultrasound to look at the endometrium.

Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN