Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Having a GYN issue that started very suddenly 2 months ago.

Having a GYN issue that started very suddenly 2 months ago. After years of regular periods, my period stopped totally in November. I have never skipped before except for pregnancy. I started spitting December 8. It stopped twice for a week and started again. It hasn't stopped in a month. I have a history of at least one fibroid. Ultrasound showed thickening of the uterus so Dr took a uterine biopsy which came back thankfully as negative for cancer. Hormonal blood tests show I am not menopausal so I am guessing the fibroid is bleeding. This last week I have dropped many very large blood clots and the bleeding is very bad when I do. My GYN wants to do a D &C and a procedure called thermachoice ablation. Is this the best choice? Won't it just grow back in time?

Do you know how large your fibroid is?

Do you know if the fibroid is located next to the uterine lining? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not know the actual size or location. I know the Dr said he could feel it but that it wasn't excessively large. The cramping and clots are like when I had a miscarriage many years ago and they have increased dramatically over the last week

I would suggest that you get a second opinion.

Because you missed a period and then started spotting, your spotting is much more likely to be due to hormonal changes related to your age. Fibroids don't usually cause daily spotting.

Endometrial ablation is a procedure for a woman who has had heavy or prolonged bleeding and nothing else has helped to relieve it.

I suspect that some hormone pills (either progesterone or low dose birth control pills) would resolve the spotting. You may not need anything after that. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

You're welcome.

Thank you for your payment and rating.