Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

This is something that's still on my mind after a couple

Customer Question

This is something that's still on my mind after a couple years. About 4 years ago I had a miscarriage. My HCG levels did not immediately go to zero so they did an ultrasound and I was misdiagnosed as having a hematoma from the miscarriage. Doctor said not to worry about it. Two years later I have another ultrasound to rule out an ovarian tumour as a cause of a thyroid problem. Well I didn't have that, but they still found this thickening in my uterus that they previously thought was a hematoma. I became very worried so my doctor did an endometrial biopsy, which came back negative. The gynaecologist claimed I have a polyp, but it seems this is just a guess. He also did not consider that it had been there for years. I had to remind him, which he just brushed off. Since then I've been pregnant and had a son who is now a year old, but I haven't had any kind of exam since. Should I be asking for a follow up? I'm worried that it's a polyp or hyperplasia that could turn into cancer. I'm still breastfeeding at 15 months postpartum and have only had a few days of minor bleeding when my son was 4 months. My cycle still hasn't returned. Would they have been able to see anything abnormal during my pregnancy ultrasounds? I asked about it at the first one and she said she didn't see a polyp interfering with anything. I still don't think there ever was a polyp and it's more likely hyperplasia, which maybe wouldn't be noticed during pregnancy?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos MD, board certified obgyn. My answer to you is to have someone do a transvaginal ultrasound to see what's going on now. It's unlikely that hyperplasia and a polyp could survive through the suppression of pregnancy and breast feeding. I'd be interested to find out too.

I was thinking about the mystery mass and maybe you have a bicornuate uterus. Or a variant of that where the top of the uterus looks like a heart as the top wall puckers in and there is a septum inside but not totally separating the inside space but partially. The mass is actually the incomplete septum.