OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been on the nuvaring for 2 months now. The first

Customer Question
month I kept it in...
I have been on the nuvaring for 2 months now. The first month I kept it in for the full 21 days, removed it on jan 8th and reinserted it on jan 15th. Therefore, I would be due to take it out this Friday feb. 5th. However, I took it out yesterday, the 2nd (4 days early). I did this because I have a gyno appointment next week and I wanted to be off of my period for the exam. I had sex last night after removing the nuvaring yesterday AM. Should I take a Plan B today? That is the last thing that I want to do because I know how much it will mess with my body. Is it possible that I ovulated yesterday on the same day that I took the nuvaring out? Or will I just get my period in a few days? Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/3/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

It's not likely that you ovulated yesterday on the same day you took the nuvaring out, but you might ovulate today or tomorrow. Once you take the nuvaring out, you are no longer protected by it.

If you do ovulate today or tomorrow, the sperm from yesterday are still there, and pregnancy is possible.

Because of that, I would take Plan B now. It will help to prevent pregnancy.

As long as you leave the ring in for at least 21 days, then you're protected for the following 7 days. When you take it out early, that's no longer true.

You probably will get your period in a couple days, and if you do, that probably would mean that you're not pregnant. But if you want to be more sure, I would take the Plan B.