OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a women age 35. I have had overian cysts before. 10…

Customer Question
Hi, I am a women...
Hi, I am a women age 35. I have had overian cysts before. 10 years ago I had one the size of a grape fruit drained and removed. I have had pelvic pain in my lower left side off and on for over a month. It comes and goes. It feels like cyst pain but it's not going away. My period stopped 9 days ago. I now have light bleeding that stops and starts again. I have never had bleeding in between cycles. I am wondering if this normal or do I need to go to the er.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/2/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello I'm Dr Manos MD board certified obgyn. Was your period normal? It may be a corpus luteum cyst that is persisting from your last cycle. They can have some bleeding inside the cyst and the blood clots and there is pain. They tend to resolve on their own. You might go to be checked including an ultrasound to show what's going on

My period was normal although it was heavy with some clotting.

You have the left lower abdominal pain like a cyst and you're bleeding when you shouldn't be. The corpus luteum cyst produces the hormone progesterone which is important for a pregnancy but without a pregnancy it caused nuisance bleeding and pain. If you waited on your symptoms you could do fine. This type of cyst can rupture and the pain gets worse as the cyst contents spill in your pelvis. Generally, if that's it and the fluid is absorbed by your circulation you can avoid an operation or a doctor will be concerned and operate.

It's Dr Manos again. What are you going to do? We need to complete our communication.

Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN