OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Ive just got back my 13 weeks ultrasound scan and report…

Customer Question
Hi. Ive just got back...
Hi. Ive just got back my 13 weeks ultrasound scan and report (fraternal twins). The ultrasounds were just 5 quick images this time, not detailed ones as at 11.3 weeks. But the results came back (see below). I am very worried about the BPD of 19 and 16.7 (very worried about this one as I've been told by some other women that low BPD can sometimes be a marker for spina bifida). Some of the other results are also developing somewhat slower than should be the case at 13 weeks (?). One of the twins has had a gestatinal sac in a banana shape since the beginning (with only good other results, eg heart rate etc) - the sac has now expanded to the size of a kidney bean - should this be round by now, should this be a worry? We had NIPT blood test done at 11.3 weeks and that came back all clear as did our Nuchal translucency tests. We are having girls. Can you please tell me if I should be worried with the BPD especially and if there are any specific questions I should be asking my doctor when I next see him.
(1) BPD 19, OFP 25, HC 70, AC 54, FL 8, CRL 65
(2) BPD 16.7, OFP 25, HC 70, AC 62, FL 9, CRL (not listed)
Weight 60g and 64g
Heart beat 148 and 154
All other things checked and normal
nose bones 2mm and 2.3mm
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/29/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, I'm Ted Manos, MD, board certified obgyn. Convert with the twins. The most reassuring thing you texted was a normal nuchal translucency. The discrepancy in bpd is expected and a small bpd for the length of pregnancy is a problem but both twins bpd's are normal for 13 weeks. As far as sac shape, twin gestation might look irregular early on. Trust whatever your doctor is sharing. I've seen and managed many twin pregnancies and so far things are within an acceptable range.