OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 58 years old, post-menopausal. In the past week or so,

Customer Question
I've had vaginal dryness and...
I'm 58 years old, post-menopausal. In the past week or so, I've had vaginal dryness and irritation, along with a strong odor coming from my vagina. No discharge. I have not been sexually active in at least 5 years.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/27/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, I'm Ted Manos MD, board certified obgyn. It's pretty obvious to me that you have what we call strophic vaginitis. You don't produce much estrogen hormone which thickens the lining of the vagina. With thinning, the base of the lining gets irritated and some fluid seeps into the vagina and bacteria cause irritation and odor. You need to be seen by a doctor to consider prescribing estrogen cream to rebuild the lining. This condition is common and seen more in thin women. Heavy set ladies have some estrogen from fat tissue.

Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN