OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

What are the chances of me getting pregnant after a

Customer Question
laparoscopy with an IUI combined...
What are the chances of me getting pregnant after a laparoscopy with an IUI combined with letrozal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
1/25/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Could you give me some more information please?

How long have you been trying to get pregnant?

What did the laparoscopy show?

Do you know whether you are ovulating now?

Is the sperm count normal?

Has any cause been found for your infertility? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Been trying for six years
Laparoscopy showed stage 3 endo but non-around reproductive organs
Im not ovulating right now but have not struggled with ovulation in the past
Sperm count is normal if not perfect meets above all numbers
Endo potential cause but not established still considered unexplained

How old are you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
30

I think it's somewhat debatable to call it unexplained infertility when you have stage 3 endometriosis, but it may still be reasonable.

In studies of women under the age of 30 with unexplained infertility, treatment with letrozole or clomid plus IUI results in about a 10% chance of pregnancy per cycle. That tends to be true for the first 3 cycles, and then the chance of pregnancy using this treatment decreases greatly.

However, the chances of pregnancy with unexplained infertility are also related to how long the couple has had unexplained infertility. The longer you've had it, the less chance of pregnancy. Since you've had infertility for 6 years, I would say that your chances of pregnancy are less than the figures stated above.

In any case, it seems worthwhile to try the letrozole plus IUI for 3 months. If you're not pregnant after that, I would recommend going on to higher tech infertility treatment. Best wishes.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN