OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What are the options for a woman who years ago had a

Customer Question
hysterectomy and now finds that...
What are the options for a woman who years ago had a hysterectomy and now finds that her bladder is falling into her vagina/
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/24/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

The options are basically to live with it, try a pessary, or have surgery.

If the fallen bladder isn't to uncomfortable, some women will just live with it, trying to avoid too much abdominal pressure that tends to make the bladder drop more.

A pessary is a device of different shapes that a doctor will fit in the vagina which will help to hold the bladder up. Sometimes a number of different types of pessary must be tried to find one that does the job and doesn't fall out.

If the fallen bladder is significantly uncomfortable or associated with urine incontinence, usually the best option is surgery. This is usually done vaginally and involves tightening up the tissues supporting the bladder, either with stitches or mesh. This usually will take care of the fallen bladder as long as it's done by a skillful surgeon.

Usually it's best to see a good OB/GYN doctor for evaluation and to discuss the options.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN