How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11288
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the options for a woman who years ago had a

Customer Question

What are the options for a woman who years ago had a hysterectomy and now finds that her bladder is falling into her vagina/
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

The options are basically to live with it, try a pessary, or have surgery.

If the fallen bladder isn't to uncomfortable, some women will just live with it, trying to avoid too much abdominal pressure that tends to make the bladder drop more.

A pessary is a device of different shapes that a doctor will fit in the vagina which will help to hold the bladder up. Sometimes a number of different types of pessary must be tried to find one that does the job and doesn't fall out.

If the fallen bladder is significantly uncomfortable or associated with urine incontinence, usually the best option is surgery. This is usually done vaginally and involves tightening up the tissues supporting the bladder, either with stitches or mesh. This usually will take care of the fallen bladder as long as it's done by a skillful surgeon.

Usually it's best to see a good OB/GYN doctor for evaluation and to discuss the options.