OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I haven't had my period since delivering (June)still

Customer Question
Hi I haven't had my...
Hi I haven't had my period since delivering (June)still breastfeeding , thought I got my period since I had some blood on Monday once but then it never came down again till today I have had on and off spotting and some browishredish reddish after wiping
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/24/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Some women don't get their period as long as they are breastfeeding, but some women will start getting periods or getting some bleeding, especially when they start cutting down on their breastfeeding.

A full period usually comes once a woman has ovulated. Breastfeeding inhibits ovarian activity, but I suspect that your ovaries are starting to make hormones, but have not yet ovulated. The hormones are bringing on the bleeding.

It's fairly likely that you'll get a period one of these days, but it's hard to know when.

I doubt that the bleeding is anything to worry about. If it gets to much, then see your doctor. Otherwise I would give it some time and see how much the bleeding continues, and whether you get a regular period. Best wishes.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN