OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue? i…

Customer Question
My name is mae...

My name is mae

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I saw a bump near my labia

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/23/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Can I have more details please?

- Since when have you had the bump?

- Is it painful?

- Where on the labia do you have it - near the upper hairy part, on the lower end near the vaginal opening?

- How large is it? And has it grown since you first noticed it?

- When did you get your last period? re your periods regular?

- Have you had unprotected sexual intercourse?

I just saw it this evening . It's not that painful. It's small like pea size. I attached a file. It's in the middle. I have irregular periods the last time was last week. Yes I had unprotected sexual intercouse last month

Thanks for the reply and the image.

What you have is an enlarged sebaceous gland. There are a large number of sebaceous glands in and around the genital region - the secretions help keep the area supple and moist. Sometimes the duct from the gland gets blocked - either due to a mild infection or due to a small injury. The secretions then collect inside the gland causing it to enlarge and form a bump.

Please apply a warm pack on the bump twice a day for at least 3-5 days. This will help the duct to open up and the secretions to drain. Also take ibuprofen tablets 200mg twice a day for three days - it is available without a prescription.

If the bump remains, you will need to see a doctor.

I hope the answer helped.

Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.