How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 8781
Experience:  Board Certified MD
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently had UTI like pain when I urinated so took a look

Customer Question

Hi, I recently had UTI like pain when I urinated so took a look and there was a large red bump surrounding my urethra. My doc took a urine culture (I had taken 1 Levaquin that AM) but it came back negative. He gave me some estrogen cream to use over the weekend and a week's worth of Cipro. After the weekend ended (a little over a week ago) I looked and it had gotten fire engine red and hurt badly so went back to my GYN. He and his partner said it looked like a "urethral prolapse" and said "I've never seen anything like this in someone your age" (I'm 53, never had kids, last period was 11/14). He gave me some lidocaine and said if it didn't "improve significantly" by this week to make an appointment with a urologist. I made the appointment because although the pain is 90% gone (still some minor stinging at times), the red bump is still there and it's disturbing. I am afraid it may be cancer (I had basal skin cancer on my face in 2010). I'm very concerned - why would this suddenly happen out of nowhere? Why is the cream not reducing the size of this thing? Help?!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI, I am married and we have been monogamous for 13 years. We have sex once or twice a week and did not do anything out of the ordinary prior to this happening. I have not had sex since this condition arose.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Do you have a picture that you could send me?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see if I can do a selfie
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing, I will be here.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is blurry but the best I could do under the circumstances
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

This does not look like any kind of cancer.

I still think that prolapse of the urethra is the most likely cause as far as I am concerned.

I would strongly recommend that you be seen by a urologist to be sure.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options when you are done asking.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea what might cause this to happen? Working out? Tight pants? Harsh soaps??
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Could be reduced hormones after menopause or around menopause, could be staying constipated frequently which causes pressure down below, also could be excessive working out and tight pants as well.

All these could be contributing factors either individually or combined.