OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a hard lump on my inside vaginal lip. It hurts when I…

Customer Question
I have a hard lump...
I have a hard lump on my inside vaginal lip. It hurts when I touch it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/18/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Is the lump toward the front or the back?

How large is it?

How long have you had it? Thank you.

The lump is on the top right hand side of the inside vaginal lips( it is above and to the right of the vaginal opening but on the lips). It is about the size of pea. I noticed it yesterday. I took a hot bath and some pus has come out and a bit of liquid.

The fact that some pus came out means that this is an abscess, which is a collection of pus.

From the location, I would say that the most likely cause of this abscess is an infected sebaceous cyst. This is when a skin oil gland gets plugged, causing a small cyst. If that get infected, it will swell up, cause a painful lump filled with pus, which may then drain.

An injury to the skin might also cause such an abscess.

Usually heat such as a hot bath is the best treatment. Usually antibiotics are not helpful.

It would probably be best to make an appointment with your doctor for evaluation and to be sure that it resolves over time. Best wishes.

Thank you

You're welcome.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.