Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am a 52 year old woman who has not gone through menopause

Customer Question

I am a 52 year old woman who has not gone through menopause yet. For about the last 4 days I have been bleeding very heavy having to change out my tampon and pad about every two hours. Is this normal before stopping menstruation?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, board certified obgyn. Anytime you saturate two pads an hour that is considered too much. A tampon and pad every two hours would raise concern if you are soaking through. Is this your expected period? Have you been regular up to now? Are you cramping much?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not normal for me. Most of the time for the last couple years or so my period has been very light and occasionally have gone 2 or 3 months between cycles. I am cramping some but not bad.

Light and occasional delayed periods can indicate not ovulating regularly. You definitely need the scan to include measuring the thickness of the endometrial lining of the uterus.