OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

One of my x is saying she is pregnant. She had unprotected

Customer Question
Customer: one of my x...
Customer: one of my x is saying she is pregnant. She had unprotected sex with another guy a week before. And we had protected sex a week after. Can I be the father?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: they had sex on Aug 8th/9th and we had sex on Aug 15th/16th The doctor told her that she conceived around Aug 11th
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to OB GYN Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/15/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. It would be helpful if you could get a copy of the ultrasound report or at least what due date she was given based on that ultrasound report.

The accuracy of the conception date based on ultrasound depends on when it was done. The most accurate is if was done between 4-8 weeks after conception.

If you're able to get me the report or at least the date the ultrasound was done and what due date she was given after that ultrasound was done, I'll be able to give you a better idea.

If we used protection, is there still a possibility of her getting pregnant?

Condoms aren't perfect. But usually if a woman was given a conception date in between dates of sex, the earlier sex is more likely to result in pregnancy. That's because sperm can easily live for 3-5 days after sex. So sex on August 8-9 is MUCH more likely to result in conception on the 11th. But conception dates are just estimates. If the ultrasound was done between 4-8 weeks after conception, the accuracy is within a range of 3 days. But ultrasounds done later in pregnancy have wider error ranges. Ultrasound done in the second trimester have an error range of 7-14 days while those in the 3rd trimester can be off by up to 4 weeks.

Any other questions?

What should I do to confirm the paternity of the child?

2 choices

1. is if you can get an ultrasound report if it was done at the right time, we still might be able to exclude you based on that report.

But if that's not possible...

2. DNA paternity testing. This can be done using blood from your ex and a swab or blood from you.

You'll want to use a lab that is verified legally by the state you live in. The website of your state will have information about this most likely if you put "paternity testing" into their search engine.

Anything else?

Thank you for the info. It's a complicated issue and I feel that I am not responsible for this since I was very cautious. Plus they didn't use protection. But now I am stuck in this situation.

Yes I agree that it's much less likely you are the father. But if the doctor gave the 11th as the conception date, it's a bit too close to say unless it was an ultrasound done between 4-8 weeks after conception. I'm sorry that you're in this situation too. But hopefully a cheek swab for you will settle it and get it off your plate forever.

Anything else?

Thanks for your help

You're welcome. Good luck. I hope it goes well and is over with quickly.

Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified