Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I am on Sprintec 28 I have been having weird symptoms

Customer Question

I am on Sprintec 28 I have been having weird symptoms brown discharge and break-through bleeding prior to the start of my period. I have taken several pregnancy test all which were negative. I went to my primary care doctor and had a Pap smear today. I still don't feel right should I do a blood test?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello and I would be happy to help.

First of all, a urine pregnancy test is very sensitive for pregnancy, but it takes about two weeks to turn positive after conception. So you could simply repeat this test until it has been at least 2-3 weeks since the last time that you had unprotected intercourse and it should give you an accurate answer.

With regard to the bleeding - this is very common on the birth control pill. The pill tends to lighten the cycle by thinning the uterine lining (the part that normally grows and sheds every month). This is very common with birth control pills. It can be alleviated by changing the pill or considering something like the nuvaring, which is associated with less breakthrough bleeding.

My guess is that you are not pregnant. Please let me know if this helps and remember to provide a POSITIVE rating.

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, this would have occurred back in the middle of September. She did do a pelvic exam when I had my Pap smear. If I was pregnant would she have been able to tell?

Thank you for the followup question and I am sorry about the delay.

On exam, it is virtually impossible to tell if someone is pregnant. It could be detected if the uterus was enlarged OR if the cervix appeared blue-ish. Obviously, though, the best way to determine if you are pregnant is to perform pregnancy tests just as I have described above.

Please let me know if I answered your questions!

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the blood test for pregnancy taken yesterday. My result was <1 that means not pregnant correct? It has to be at a 6 I believe.

Yes, that is correct. The blood test is negative at <1. You are not pregnant.

Please take a moment to rate my answers. A positive rating would be appreciated. Even after this is done, you can continue to ask questions until we are done.

Dr. Tim