OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a question about possible infertility.

Customer Question
i had a question about possible infertility.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
1/11/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD

What is the question

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I just turned 37. I went off birth control in May (8 mntohs ago) to TTC. I have four children whom i conceived easily. My periods resumed immediately after stopping the pill now. However the flow is much shorter, only 2 regular flow days and 3rd day is light and then some brown spotting for a few days. I have also been experiencing some vaginal dryness although lately i have about one day with some egg white mucous around my positive opk. I recently saw a reproductive endorcronlogist because i have not yet conceived. He did a vaginal ultrasound and said my egg reserve is very good and saw no cysts. He recommended a PCT after my next positive opk. They also did blood work. Im not sure what they tested for but it was all good aside for slightly elevated TSH (thyroid) level which they want me to retest soon. He recommended an estrogen patch to extend my cycle as due to religious reasons I cannot have intercourse until about 12-14 days after mensturation and i have been s sometimes missing ovulation. I left a mssg for my regular ob with my concern about the lighter menstural flow (i used to have 4-5 days). She called me back and left a message that she wants me to do a blood test on day 3 of my next period to test FSH and estrogen as this may indicate early menopause, although she said the fact that I have regular cycles is a good sign. I did not speak to her directly so she doe snot know the results of the RE. I am just very concerned about what she said with the early menopause and wanted your opinion based on all the information I have what may be wrong and if early menopause is a possibility. I am particularly concerned about the shorter flow, thirst I've been experiencing lately, intermittent vaginal dryness, and the elevated thyroid (even though they said its slight).

Thanks for your help

What is your tsh? Early menopause is not a possibility. Menopause is defined as no period for a year. Day 3 fsh is a good idea. A better measure of ovarian reserve is the Amh blood test. You may have had it. Your tsh should be 0.3-3.0. If it's higher you may have sub clinical hypothyroidism And may need thyroid replacement What religion prohibits intercourse until two weeks after menstruation? Two weeks after it starts or ends. ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

thank you

two weeks after it starts.....i will try to find out my results and what other tests were done. What do u think about the symptoms of vaginal dryness and frequent thirst? I don't think my doctor meant menopause i think she meant signs that i may be starting to go into menopause (perimenopause?)

vaginal dryness means nothing if you are not menopausal nor does thirst. It's going to be tough to conceive if you do not have relations until day 14

Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD