How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 18527
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 27 y/o female, who has been in a relationship +yrs

Customer Question

I am a 27 y/o female, who has been in a relationship for 9+yrs with the same man and no one else, I have 2 children, and have not been sexual active for 2+months. Saturday morning I was bathing and shaved my vagina, by lunch time on Saturday I have a rash circular patch, red, swollen, slightly itchy, and tender to touch, by Monday I had one swollen lymph node in groin and white blister around hair follicles, starting today I have slight tenderness in my thigh but no redness or swelling. What could this be and what can I do to promote healing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

From your description, it does sound most like it is inflammation and infection of the hair follicles, called folliculitis. It is possible to get some inflammation of the follicles without infection solely from shaving. However, since there is a swollen lymph node, that would be more likely seen with an infection, even if it started from the shaving.

If you could attach a picture of the area, a better comment can be made, but from the description, it sounds mostly likely to be a folliculitis.

There are limited options that are available over the counter. The topical medicines that you are using are reasonable and the best that can be done over the counter to relieve the inflammation and infection. It also may be soothing to apply a moisturizing cream. Soaking in salty bath water also may be soothing. However, a more significant case of folliculitis will frequently require oral antibiotics, so if these home interventions do not get control of the symptoms, you would do better to see your doctor.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.