Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

My period came 2 weeks early and I am on the pill, just

Hello , my period came 2 weeks early and I am on the pill , just wondering if I should stop it for a week or continue the normal course ?
Thank you

Hello, I would be happy to help.

1. Is the bleeding light or is it as heavy as a period?

2. Did you miss any pills?

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Doc,The bleeding is as nornal as period yesSecondly no i have not missed a pill but i have been on an anti biotic (tarivid, 2x 200mg/day ) for 10 days now until yesterday for a bladder infection and i think it is the reason.
I would like to make sure if i should stop the pill now or should i wait.I beleive the anti biotic has cancelled the pills effect and therefor the period started, does that make any sense ? If this scenario makes sense that may be i should wait until the next cycle to start the pill again.Please adviseThanksM.

It is a very common misconception that antibiotics affect the birth control pill. You are on a common antibiotic used to treat bladder infections and one that is not associated with altered metabolism of the pill. The only antibiotic shown to affect the pill is called Rifampin.

That being said, it does not explain exactly what is going on with you or what to do. Causes of breakthrough bleeding on the pill are most likely related to extreme thinning of the uterus lining and resultant breakthrough bleeding. This is often corrected by being on a slightly higher dose pill.

If a patient presented or called with what you are describing, I would recommend:

1. Take a pregnancy test if you are sexually active

2. Continue the current pill pack - expect a lighter period when it was supposed to arrive

3. Restart the next pill pack at the usual time

4. If you continue to have breakthrough bleeding, you need an ultrasound to evaluate for the 'thinning' that I described, or possibly other things like uterine polyps.

Does this answer your questions?

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Doc,Thank you for your recommendations, i will most likely follow ur advise.
Can you tell me what are the possible reasons for blood thinning ? I have had a flue for the past few days and have been taking some Advil Cold and Flu.Apart from that , we have been traveling for a few days, pressure and weather change ?ThanksM.

I am sorry about the delay. When I refer to thinning, I am referring the inside lining of the uterus. This lining usually grows every month in anticipation of pregnancy and then sheds when pregnancy does not occur. The birth control pill typically prevents the growth of the lining and the period at the end of the month is much lighter than when you are not on the pill, in most cases. So, this is a normal effect of the pill and usually nothing to be concerned about. But, this thinning process sometimes makes the inside of the uterus prone to bleeding. It is NOT your blood that is thinned.

With regard to 'stress', certainly if travel has involved significant stress, time changes, etc. it could affect your cycle.

I hope that this answers your questions. Please take a moment to provide a POSITIVE rating.

Dr. Tim