Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I am 7 weeks since LMP. At 4wks hcg was 104, at 6wk1d it was

Customer Question

I am 7 weeks since LMP. At 4wks hcg was 104, at 6wk1d it was 5968 and at 7wk it is only 11599. I am also breastfeeding. Should I be concerned that I have not doubled in 6 days?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I would be happy to help.

HCG levels in early pregnancy usually double every 48-72 hours. This doubling tends to slow down a bit as you get further along. The earliest that you can see a pregnancy is at 6 wks, or an HCG level of about 10,000.

My first thought when I look at your numbers is that you conceived slightly later than you thought. You probably were closer to 5 weeks when you thought you were 6 1/7 wks. In answer to your question, though, and taking into account that HCG levels double about every 48-72 hours:

1. HCG = 104

2. Assuming normal doubling, 5 days later I would expect this number to be at least 800, but it was almost 6000

3. Then you see the slowing of the doubling at what you assume is 7 wks, but as I told you, I think you are closer to 6 wks. In this case, this number is ***** and reassuring

This would be a good time to get an ultrasound. You should be able to see a heartbeat. The other thing that is important is to make sure that the pregnancy is in the uterus and not the tube. My guess is that you are not scheduled for an ultrasound in the near future, but you need to demand that you get in tomorrow to resolve what is going on. My guess is that everything is fine.

Does this answer your question?

Dr. Tim

Hello, I am just following up to see if you were satisfied with the answer that you received - do you have more questions?

D. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dates are spot on, forgot to mention I am IVF. Have a scan booked for tomorrow. FIngers crossed.

Thank you for the followup and I wish you the best of luck today. Please give me feedback as to how this ultrasound goes and what it shows. I am curious based on the fact that you are IVF. The high rise in HCG might have indicated an early twin gestation.

Dr Tim

I am just following up on your status - is everything okay. Please ask if you have additional questions. Please also confirm whether or not I answered your prior question so that I may receive credit for my answers.

Dr. Tim