OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Due to menapause, I have extreme vaginal dryness. Need a

Customer Question
prescription for Estrace cream or...
Due to menapause, I have extreme vaginal dryness. Need a prescription for Estrace cream or something to eliminate this issue.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
1/2/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, board certified obgyn. You have vaginal dryness and are considering estrace vaginal cream. One question I have is whether there is dryness during intimacy which makes sex uncomfortable. Vaginal lubrication is a natural phenomenon and can be blocked by concern that there is something wrong. You should see your gynecologist to come up with a plan to correct what's happening.

My previous ogyn has already diagnosed the problem and gave me a prescription for Estrace. Due to the cost of the meds., I was not able to follow through. I now want to try this again and follow through. .
Actually, my previous physician explained about the thinning of the vaginal wall...so, it's not just a dryness issue.

Yes, the thinning of the cells that line the vagina give the sensation of vaginal dryness. It leads to discomfort. The estrogen in estrace builds up the cells that thinned out and using the cream on a maintenance program and it shouldn't take much medication in the long run. If you've been a patient of a gynecologist and are low risk for problems, you should be able to get a prescription.

Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN