OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My doctor placed me on medroxprogestrine 5 days 10 mgs to

Customer Question
Customer: Hi Dr. ***** *****...
Customer: Hi Dr. ***** ***** My doctor placed me on medroxprogestrine 5 days 10 mgs to bring my period back ultrasound showed linign of 10mm on uteurus, right ovarian cyst, foliiocystic on left ovary it also said i was periomenapaulsol will this med work? My doctor gave me 6 refills I am so confused
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have had an irregular period since 17 I was on birth control pills on and off over the years this year I missed up and went back to doc in sept she had me go through blood tests all normal and ultruadounsd all normal dec 18 I went to get another ultrasound which showed right cyst on ovary returned I have physologic follicular cyst on left ovary mild endumentrial thickness and i was perimenapausal Doc put me on medroxprogestrine 10 mg for 5 ydas which has done nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to OB GYN Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes sorry I didn't realize others were waiting!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
1/2/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Basu, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Do you have any other symptoms?

Progesterone challenge is considered as progesterone deficiency is common for lack of period.

However it did not work for you right?

In that case, you just need to wait out for a period if no other symptoms.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no other symptoms other then not having a cycle.How long should I wait to get a period with the medroxprogrestine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My cycle has been irreglar since my early twenties.

Usually within a week.

Since your endometrial lining is about 10 mm thick, you should see a gynecologist as well.

We usually recommend medroxyprogesterone daily for 10-14 days each month for better effect.

Or medroxyprogesterone 10 mg daily for 3 months.

Or Mirena IUD to prevent endometrial thickening.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am seeing a obgyn who prescribed it.Is the 10 mg a day for 3 months to bring on a period?

To shrink the endometrium.

Thickened endometrium is a risk for endometrial cancer.

To prevent that, its shrinking is recommended.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My OBGYN gave me a prescription for 10 mg 5days to bring on a period.She gave me 6 refills..I am so confused..Should I try for 6 months to get a period?

You should get period within 2 months usually.

But 6 months treatment to shrink your endometrium as well besides periods.

Best wishes

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor