Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 26 years old, weigh 154lbs and height is 5'4. I've been

Customer Question

I am 26 years old, weigh 154lbs and height is 5'4. I've been trying to conceive for 3 years. I've only decided to see a doctor July 2015 and was told I had polycystic right ovary and the largest follicle measuring 1.6mm. I was prescribed metformin 1000mg daily for 3 months but that didn't help me. I was then given clomid 50mg to take for 5 days. Pls keep in mind that my period is regular (27-29 day cycle) I had a follicle scan after clomid and found that I had a follicle measuring 2cm. on my left ovary. I was happy to know that so our doctor told us to have intercouse that day and 2 more days after. Will there be a good chance I can get pregnant from this cycle?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Has a sperm count been done?

Are you seeing an OB/GYN doctor?

How often were you having sex before seeing the doctor?

Were your tubes checked to know they are normal? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sperm count has been done yet. I am seeing an ObGYn. We have been having sex at least 3 times a week for 3 years before seeing a doctor. My tubes are normal. No blockage. However, I had 24 small cysts on my right ovary and 6 small cysts on left ovary in June 2015. I took metformin and am still taking it since July 2015. I started clomid on days 5-9 (dec 16-20). My ovaries have shown improvement and during my follicle scan on Dec 23 after my clomid cycle #1, I have 1 dominant follicle on my left ovary. My doctor advised us to have intercourse that same day and the following 2 days. What are my chances of conceiving this cycle? Does having regular periods (27-29 cycle) give me a better advantage of conceiving?

Even when a completely normal couple has sex at exactly the right time, the chance of pregnancy is only 25%, so that's the best you can hope for. Since you have 3 years of infertility while having regular periods, I'm afraid your chances this month are probably not great.

Since you have regular periods, it's likely that you've been ovulating most months before starting any medication. Was any test done to know whether you were ovulating, such as a day 21 progesterone test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my doctor hasn't mentioned anything about having me take a 21 day progesterone test. My doctor did mention to me that my eggs were not induced. Also, they would not mature. But he gave me a good sign of this cycle when he did the follicle scan that showed I had a follicle of 2cm in my left ovary which made me feel positive about this month. Is that something that can help me maybe conceive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached a photo of my follicle ultrasound in the previous reply. I apologize for the blur.

The follicle may help you to conceive.

However, I'm not sure what your doctor is talking about in saying that your eggs are not induced.

I don't know how many scans you've had before, but your regular cycles certainly suggest that your eggs have been developing and ovulating.

When a couple has infertility, the cause is in the male sperm almost half the time, especially when the woman is having regular cycles. The sperm count is one of the first things that should be checked. Ovulation doesn't help much when the sperm aren't good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do conceive this cycle, what early symptoms should I be expecting and how early along the pregnancy will I feel the symptoms? Is it possible to feel symptoms during the 2 weeks after ovulatio?

The main symptom would be to miss your period. If that happens, then do a pregnancy test.

Although it's possible to have symptoms from implantation (spotting, discomfort), usually there will be no pregnancy symptoms until a period is missed.