Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My question is i am 11 days late on my period and i am

Customer Question

Hi
My question is i am 11 days late on my period and i am haveing breast tenderness. Last month i went to the hospital because of unteren bleeding. What could be wrong.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your late period. If there is no pregnancy, a late period is due to hormonal causes. The most common reason for a late period is stress. Most women skip a few periods during their lives due to stress. Thyroid disorder is another hormonal cause we check for. Excessive exercise & eating disorders can also cause skipped or late periods. If the skips repeat, some lab tests should be drawn. Other common causes of skips include a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome and at age 38, some women do begin to have poor egg release and late periods. Early menopause would be a very unusual cause at age 38. Some medications can cause late or skipped periods and some rare infectious complications of pregnancy.

So there are many possibilities. If it's the first time it's happened, we'd just have a woman wait to see if things get back to normal. But if the skip or late period repeats, we'd want to do an evaluation to find the cause.

Please reply with questions. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.