Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

Am I pregnant or not? I had unprotected sex on Oct22, took

Customer Question

Am I pregnant or not?
I had unprotected sex on Oct22, took the morning after pill the next day. I started having side effects 5 days later, symptoms that mimicked pregnancy. My period was late that month by 5 days. It started 22nov and lasted 3 days. I had unprotected sex on the 1/2Dec, wasn't using any form of contraception with my boyfriend. I started bleeding on the 13dec (in the evening) It started pink but was there only when I wiped, the next morning it was brown with very light clots. Later that evening it started being heavy but not like my normal bleeding. It was dark red, slippery and runny. I'm having chest pains, light cramping and a weird pulsing on the left side of my tummy...what is happening??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I would be happy to help. First, some questions for you:

1. What was the first day of the period BEFORE 10/22?

2. When was the last time you took a pregnancy test?

Thank you

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi!9OctI took the pregnancy test 9Dec in the morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the test came back negative

Thank you for the followup.

First, when you take PlanB, which you did about when you would have ovulated, it leads to some breakthrough bleeding and a delay in your next period. This is actually what occurred. The main point is that if it has been AT LEAST TWO WEEKS since you had unprotected intercourse, then a pregnancy test is reliable. If it is negative now, then you are not pregnant. I know that you are concerned with how it was collected, but you should pee right onto a stick (in the over the counter versions) and read the test within the first 10 minutes. PlanB is notorious for causing irregularity in your cycle and this seems to be what occurred. You are NOW experiencing symptoms that appear to be related to your cycle and ovulation. After your ovulate, you form a cyst that is often painful. This is probably what you are experiencing on the left side.

Please let me know what you think so far

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So the only other thing is to take another pregnancy test.
The pulsing on the left side isn't painful, it's just annoyingly weird and the cramping isn't a sharp pain, is my bleeding patten normal at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it make a difference that this is the first time that I've used the morning after pill?

Yes, I think that the PlanB, which changes the lining of the uterus, is very typically associated with changes in the bleeding related to the next cycle. So in answer to your question:

1. Yes, the bleeding is normal to be abnormal as you describe - time will correct this

2. Yes, take another pregnancy test and use backup protection until this resolves

3. And no, it makes no difference that this is the first time you have used PlanB

Does this help? Please remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING when we are done.

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you for your time!

Pleast take a moment to provide a POSITIVE RATING so that i get credit for my time!

Thank you

Dr. Tim