How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11252
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 33 weeks pregnant. I have been sick for the past two

Customer Question

I'm 33 weeks pregnant. I have been sick for the past two weeks and have noticed today that I have lost 16 lbs since my last doctors apt when I was 30 weeks. I haven't been able to eat much at all and I have been throwing up what I have been able to eat. At 30 weeks my weight gain was 27 lbs. My pre pregnancy weight was 198 and at 30 weeks I was 225. I am now 209. I have an appointment with my doctors week from Monday should I try to be seen earlier?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I would call your doctor to be seen earlier.

Babies are tough and able to survive a lot, but it's not really good that you've lost so much weight.

Your doctor will be able to give you medication to prevent the nausea and help you keep food in.

With that much weight loss, you're likely pretty dehydrated as well. You may need to receive IV fluids.

Plus, it's not normal that you are sick for 2 weeks like this. There must be something more than the usual food poisoning or virus infection causing this. Your doctor will want to figure it out.

Be sure to tell your doctor (or his/her nurse) that you've lost 27 pounds. They'll get you in. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I cannot get an earlier appointment should I go to the ER if I continue to lose weight?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

I think so.

Hopefully your doctor will be able to see you, or perhaps refer you to a GI specialist or someone who can evaluate you.

The ER would be more of a last resort, since they would do basic care, and then refer you to someone else. Perhaps the ER could help you to be seen by a specialist.