Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I have just found small blisters in my labia minor. Should I

Customer Question

Customer: I'm Kim. I have just found small blisters in my labia minor. Should I be concerned more than I already am?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, Wednesday I had vigorous sex and have since experienced what I can only guess as being a friction burn. I have been sore and have burned when I pee. It's not the pee that burns, but it is burning the area I believe to be burned.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to OB GYN Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I will wait. Thank you.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr M, obgyn. The blisters could be related to the trauma during sex or could be a form of herpes virus. Herpes is more alarming than it should be. It's the same virus that cause oral "cold sores". The lesions are activated by stress and prolonged with worry. I've had many patients control even cold sores by not fretting when the area has some sensitivity occurring. The areas heal up rapidly including in the pelvic area. Try ignoring it for now as an abrasion will heal on its own and herpes if controlled by the immune system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have always had a clean record and the same partner for twenty-five years. Herpes seems very unlikely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is very hard to ignore, especially when going to the restroom and the urine stream comes in contact. I come out of the restroom with tears in my eyes.

Dr M again. If it's unlikely to be herpetic, then if you have Desitin or Vaseline, then apply it to the lesion to cover it from the urine. It should heal well in 24 to 30 hours. I can't imagine needing any suturing. There was no obvious bleeding right after sex I imagine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a little blood but nothing extreme. It has never taken much to make me bleed.

A blister per se wouldn't burn unless it popped and the sensitive base is exposed. It will be self-limiting and heal up. At this point don't worry about it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, would using a good lubricant be advisable? I am forty-eight and diabetic, so I know that is working against me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it burned for three days before any blisters appeared. They showed up just a few hours ago.

That would raise the herpes consideration. I have to ask but was there any oral-genital contact? I ask this as the herpes type I virus that causes "cold sores" can cause genital lesions that get pretty uncomfortable. No matter using a lubricant will help and not stressing over it helps a lot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there was no oral contact. Would the lesions appear that quickly? The soreness was pretty much instantaneous, and has remained steady, without getting worse.

It's a little confusing although with diabetes there is the tendency for yeast vaginitis which may aggravate an abrasion. Use a lubricant for now to help the symptoms and if this drags on you'd need to be seen to find clarity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I guess that wraps it up. Thank you so much for your help and for letting me know that it is nothing to get overly concerned about. I think I feel a little less stressed already.