OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with HSV-1 via bloodtest

Customer Question
but I've never had any...
About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with HSV-1 via bloodtest but I've never had any outbreaks that I could remember, especially not on my face. However, in 2013 A guy I was dating performed oral sex on me and the next day developed a fever and coldsore appeared or a fever blister as he called it.
Now fast forward to now. Within the last 3 months I have had blisters appear on my outter labia twice. Both very mild and not lasting any longer than a week. And because it took so long for symptoms to appear on me What are the chances that I have hsv-1 genitally vs hsv-2?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
To give you a little more info. I've had 2 other sexual partners since then. One my ex boyfriend who was negative for stds and my current boyfriend who I've been with for a year who is also negative for std's. He was tested at the 6mnth mark of our relationship as well and still negative for herpes etc
11/29/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

50% of new genital herpes is from herpes type 1 virus.

most likely you have genital HSV1

you can get blood tests to check for antibodies to HSV1 and HSV2 to know for sure.

that guy from 2013 most likely had the virus in his system already and with a run down immune system will develop cold sores himself. you probably didn't give him anything he didn't have already.

the blisters on your labia do sounds like herpes. are they painful?

let me know if you have questions.

No they were not painful at all. Two appeared monday night on my outter labia majora where My pubic hair grows. They were not clustered and were spread a little far a part. They almost looked like ingrown hairs but I wouldn't bet money on that. However they were gone by morning and 2 little open wounds were left behind. Everything was cleared up completely by friday

herpes ulcers are very painful.

these don't sound like herpes ulcers on your vulva.

Does a little tenderness in the area count as herpes? But then again I guess any abnormalities in that area would cause some type of discomfort... What are the chances that it is infact something like folliclitis?

no, a little tenderness doesn't count as herpes.

doesn't sound like herpes.

Thank you so much! I've had so much anxiety about this and have been searching the internet like crazy. When searching google about vaginal lesions and blistering the only thing that pops up is herpes. I'm glad I got a second opinion so I can atleast relax a little

you are welcome

please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Will do! Thanks again!

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

do you see the ratings area?

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor