Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm not sure if gave a yeast infection. I started out by

Customer Question

I'm not sure if gave a yeast infection. I started out by using Monistat 7 day treatment. I used it 2 nights but every time was experiencing extreme burning and itching afterwards. I got scared and stop using it. Was not sure if it was normal. Then I bought vagisil yesterday and that does not help at all after I put it on. It still itches like crazy. Please help.... I don't know what to do. I'm on vacation with my family and can't even enjoy it. It's getting bad. I think I got the yeast infection from using antibiotics because I Watson antibiotics right before going on vacation.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It may or may not have begun as a yeast infection. However, I suspect you had an allergic reaction to Monistat, which is not uncommon.

For now, I would recommend sitting in water with epsom salts 2-3 times daily. That should be soothing and healing regardless of the cause. You can put on a little 1% hydrocortisone after.

If you still have much itching in a day or two, you could either try a different yeast medication (no miconazole) or else see a doctor to confirm whether or not it is a yeast infection.

Yeast infections are fairly common after using antibiotics, but the original yeast infection may well be gone by now. It would require testing to be sure, but if you have no itching in a couple of days, then it's probably gone. Best wishes, and I hope you'll be able to enjoy your vacation.