Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had s hysterectomy 24 years ago went on estrogen for 20

Customer Question

I had s hysterectomy 24 years ago went on estrogen for 20 years came off 4 years ago still going through hot flashes mood swings weight gain when does it end?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble.We used to think that average symptomatic menopause was just 2 years but more recent research shows that in women who have symptoms, the average duration is 8 years. Unfortunately, some women even have hot flashes and night sweats off and on for life.

It would be helpful to set up an appointment for a detailed consultation with a menopause specialist. They can be found via the NAMS website:

http://www.menopause.org/for-women/find-a-menopause-practitioner

They would be able to explore options for management of your symptoms that you could safely stay on for longer periods of time.

For weight gain and mood swings, attention to daily exercise, making it a priority, can help as well. A minimum of 15-60 minutes of brisk walking 5-7 days per week would be likely to have a positive impact on mood, sleep, digestion and weight.

I hope this information was helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.