Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 52 have not had a period in 6 months, I have no pain

Customer Question

I am 52 have not had a period in 6 months, I have no pain but there is I don't know how to describe parts coming out of my Virginia
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

At age 52, no period for 6 month is most likely due to menopausal transition. Parts coming out of the vagina are most likely "prolapse". This is the vaginal walls and possibly the cervix coming through the opening. This can happen when the ligaments supporting the tissue loosens. The risk of this happening is increased in women who have given vaginal birth, the more times and bigger the babies, the higher the risk. The risk of prolapse also runs in families, so there is a genetic part to it too.

The best thing to do is be examined by a gynecologist who can confirm the lack of periods is due to menopause and whether the parts coming out of the vagina is prolapse. There are treatments for that including surgery but also the use of a device called a pessary. A pessary holds the tissue up inside the vagina.

Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you get the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this anything life threatening, I am on a remote island in Alaska working and there is no doctors I will be back home in a month can this wait ?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

As long as you're urinating and moving your bowels without trouble it's not life threatening.

Anything else I can help with today?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If nothing more, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.