How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a stong odor coming from my lower feminine area and

Customer Question

I have a stong odor coming from my lower feminine area and no matter what i wash with it wont go away, it smells fishy and it seems like its only comes directly from my vaginal opening. As i said before my hygiene is fine but the smell will go away even after doing a week of yeast infection cream treatment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you're having this trouble. A fishy odor isn't associated with a yeast infection so that's why it didn't go away with that treatment. A fishy odor is almost always due to a bacterial infection that does require a prescription of a medication called metronidazole. This is also known by the name brand Flagyl. The dose depends on what the discharge looks like under a microscope. So in order to get this treated, you'll need to be examined and get a prescription for treatment. Once you get on the proper antibiotic, the odor should go away within 2-3 days.

I hope this has been helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and hope it gets better soon.