OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 45 years old I am a truck driver me an my husband

Customer Question
Hi I am 45 years...
Hi I am 45 years old I am a truck driver me an my husband travel between 4500 an 5000 mikles a week I haven't had a period in 11 months had very little spotting 2 times not even enough to wear a panty liner I stay bloated all the time constipated alot I do not have any kind of pain I have hot flashes want to eat all the time I've put on about 7 pou ds in the last 2 an a half years in my stomach am thigh area I am very concerned about ovarion cancer does this sound like the symptoms of ovarion cancer I'm not a big water drinker an we don't get exercise I east alot of junk food crave sugar all the time if I eat small meals a day it seems to b helping with the bloat so please any help really worried about ovarion cancer since I've been reading the symptoms of the disease but now this bloating an constipation is nothing new been going on for 2 years now an my period last year was all over the place nothing regular every month
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
11/20/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, obgyn. It sounds like you may be menopausal and your ovaries have run out of eggs. Your symptoms, including bloating, can be due to a lack of hormone production by your ovaries. I would recommend a check-up with a gyn to assess your hormone levels and an ultrasound to check the ovaries and whether they are small and inactive. Hormone replacement would be considered but there is lots of conflicting data about safety in the long run. I used to have patients that were on the road and I remember one who drove for a circus and came in every year when there was a lull in her schedule.

no e of my symptoms sounds like ovarion cancer I also have trembling could just b from being over tired our work is very demanding an what would the symptoms of ovarion cancer b

Unfortunately, symptoms of ovarian cancer are nonspecific and when the condition is found it is far along. Your symptoms are probably related to the changes in your hormones but, as I said, an ultrasound can assess your ovaries at this point.

I have an appt Nov 25 for a vaginal ultrasound it scared me when they said one needed to b done asap so I automatically thought something bad was going on is a vaginal ultrasound only used for checking ovarion cancer an since I've had bloating for 2 years now if it was cancer wouldn't I have some kind of pain. Or more symptoms

It's good that you have the ultrasound scheduled and transvaginal is the best way to assess your uterus and ovaries. A narrow cylindrical probe is inserted in vagina much like a tampon and the sound waves outline the pelvic structures quite well. A picture is worth a thousand words.

But from your view does it sound like something that needs to b check on asap the reason I'm asking is my insurance strts in January 2016 an it would pay for the tests other wise I am going to have to pay cash up front could with my symptoms that I have explain to u wait till January which is only a month an half away please be a little more sturn I'm not really getting much out of your answers an I know how the ultrasound is done I was wanting to no if the ultrasound is only done to check for cancer

I cannot absolutely say that you need the ultrasound asap. It could wait for January. However, peace of mind is something else. How would waiting until January be like concerned about what's going on. The ultrasound can also show the inner lining of the uterine cavity and if it's menopause it would be pencil thin in thickness. The peace of mind is something only you can measure.

Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN