Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have a question about taking vitamin c while 8 weeks

Customer Question

I have a question about taking vitamin c while 8 weeks pregnant.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am eight weeks pregnant. I have been battling a cold for the last week and have been taking emergen c packets which contain about 1000 mg of vitamin C. I also take prenatals. What is the safest vitamin C limit I can take while pregnant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have read on Dr. Google, ha ha that it is safe to take up to 2000 mg of vitamin C a day. I wanted a real expert answer on that since you are in the field.

It's recommended that pregnant women not take more than 2,000 mg daily of vitamin C. Up to that amount is safe as far as we know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is some of the vitamin C secreted in your in anyway? So I assume if you took close to 2000 your body wouldn't be absorbing it anyway right?

Most vitamin C ingested will go out in the urine. Once a certain threshold of vitamin C is reached in the blood, the rest flows out through the kidneys, with a half life of 30 minutes (half is gone in 30 minutes).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So up to 2000 mg is safe? What other options are there for colds and remedies if you are sick.

The best treatment for a cold is lots of rest and drink extra fluids.

A cold will usually last about 1 week, in spite of any treatment.