OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had unprotected sex on Nov1st. My last period was Oct

Customer Question
Hi, I had unprotected sex on...
I had unprotected sex on Nov1st. My last period was Oct 23(first day of the cycle). I took emergency contraception pill within 2 hours. I also got the ovulation kit and it tested negative on that day.
Yesterday(Nov 4) the ovulation kit tested positive.
I am little worried as to why the contraception pill did not stop/delay ovulation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
11/5/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, I'm Dr M, obgyn. You took the medication where the chances of it working is 95% effective. The pill can delay ovulation or stop it. It also interferes with the sperm-egg fertilization mechanism and implantation. You utilized the pill in the proper manner so statistically you're on solid ground. There is nothing further you can do at this point but the recommended dose of the pill is quite potent in stopping conception as a rule

One additional thought is that the pill reduces cervical mucus and dries up the fluid that sperm need on their journey. I believe that is a key as to how it really works.

I had a Plan B contraception pill. Would ella be better than Plan B?I am asking so if I have a slip up in future I can make a better choice.

Ella is an option particularly with it being effective the longer the interval between unprotected intercourse and taking ella. It is more expensive and a prescription is required. The levonorgestrel pill has been available for a long time and is quite cost effective to keep available for the emergency situation.

Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN